Demolition & Drywall

April was a very busy month and  made me so happy we hired out the demolition and drywall of the mudroom! While the walls were open we had the room rewired and turns out that was a great decision as well, since not only was this entire room wired poorly, there were burn outs and exposed splicing and all sorts of no-no’s that we got corrected. It was a little more expensive than anticipated, but totally worth it for our safety and the longevity of our home. First things first, we cleaned out the space and were away for the weekend while most of the major stuff was done.

 

 

I had already poked into some of the walls just to see if this room was even insulated and uncovered a few surprises.  For instance, when the addition of this space was added they just popped drywall up over the existing siding and didn’t bother to remove it.  No surprise some of these walls were wavy. Demo uncovered even more of the same.

Mudroom Demo

Mudroom

And although we’re up here in the Northeast, we found…

Mudroom

SHIPLAP! Joanna Gaines would be thrilled!  🙂 I was pretty excited too, but it was in no way the shape needed to keep and I was ready to just keep moving with this space, so drywall it was.

As far as the stuff you don’t see, we had the ceiling fixture relocated to the center of the room, the broken doorbell wiring removed, added a closet light over the door that worked on a switch and not a pull chain and added a bank of switches near the front door to access the lights for both the room as well as the exterior.  It’s refreshing to not have to walk over by the window to turn the lamppost on. #oldhouses

We took over from here, so I sanded all the drywall down (holy cow that’s messy) and had a good old fashioned wine and paint night to get the ceilings and walls primed.

 

The floor in here appears sloped throughout, but really is only sloping by the door.  Full disclosure is that we opted not to fix it. We’ll live with this room having a little dip by the door and maybe someone down the line will be interested in fixing it, but we’re going to just move on.  We also aren’t installing tile in here which makes this decision easier. We did decide to help ourselves out a little bit and installed a layer of underlayment over the existing subfloor and tacked it down with staples at each of the guides and every 3″ at the edges.

 

So now, with Birdie’s approval, we have a nice clean layer of underlayment to work from for our next steps.

Mudroom

Since then I painted the ceiling and this weekend worked on the closet area. We put together some great plans and ideas to maximize the storage in here and it was fun getting to put it all together.  Show you soon!

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *