Spring is here and it’s fun to think of the potential outdoor projects, plants and landscaping that are sure to come our way soon! Our grass could use some definite TLC, that’s for sure. At the end of last year we tackled a long-over due project over a long Labor Day weekend on our back stairs. We actually painted them and added lattice on the sides! Only took us 3 years! #nojudgement
After I had painted the bulkhead last spring I got super ambitious for like 20 minutes and spackled all the nail holes, scuffs, and scratches that have occurred over time. Then they sat like this until September (minus the tape).
What can I say? My golf game gets in the way. 🙂 Through commercials and some other blogs I read (like this post by BowerPower) I did some research on this deck primer and paint by Rust-oleum and decided to give it a shot on our stair risers.
Rust-oleum Deck Restore. Although it’s only a small area to paint the risers these are outdoors and get lots of wear between walking, toe kicks, sitting on the stairs, weather, and plants I thought it really couldn’t hurt to take a bit of extra time and use something appropriate for this type of space. The paint product is about 4 times thicker than regular paint and the primer went on sort of like Elmers glue. (After a quick google I learned that’s normal.) We bought a few throw away brushes for this and over the course of weekend and working around the hours of sun, we applied 1 coat of gluey primer and 2 coats of paint to the risers and skirt boards on both sides.
And now the risers are nice and clean and white! The following weekend, we picked up a 4×8 sheet of PVC lattice from Home Depot along with a couple of pieces of loose lattice trim, pulled out the jigsaw and nail gun and got the openings on the side covered up. We’d been having a bunny occupy the yard quite a bit, so I was anxious to get it closed up before he/she decided to make a home under there. Rabbit poop is no fun thing to deal with when you already have a dog.
The process was completely non-technical, honestly. Jake held the lattice in place while I traced the stair profile on it with a sharpie, then we trimmed the sides with a jigsaw. The lattice trim we finish nailed over the edges and followed the stair profile with 45 degree cuts.
This was so easy and looks all cleaned up. I took a few pictures last night after work to show you how well the paint stood up after winter.
We need to do some cleanup, but it looks really good and is still nice and white! I’m looking forward to getting out there next month to start planting some spring flowers in pots and getting some yard clean up done. Apparently Mister Rabbit wasn’t too happy about the lattice and decided to try to make the openings bigger to fit his growing body.
Ugh. At least I have plans for some type of bush in front of it!