Our Old Bulkhead

Sometimes the projects you put off thinking they were going to be SO timing consuming or just a pain are really the easiest and you wished you knew earlier.  For some reason I kept putting off spray painting our bulkhead thinking it would take me for-ever, but this update only took about 2 hours including dry time and made a world of difference. Here’s what we’ve been ignoring for nearly 5 years:Bulkhead Before 2

 

And after the easiest and fastest spruce-up ever:Bulkhead After 2

Much better right? Jake started by helping me out with the creepy bits like vacuuming all the spiders and cobwebs inside the bulkhead (thanks, babe!).  After that I just swept all the dirt up on the outside and around the edges. After one coat it was already looking better. Bulkhead Before 1 Bulkhead After 1

I also took a minute to scrape the whole thing down with a wire brush.  Especially the areas where the old paint was chipping or rusting off.  I sprayed on 2 full coats of paint and primer in one, plus a bit more to touch-up areas.  I also let each coat dry for about 30 minutes in-between.  Bulkhead Before 3 Bulkhead After 3

 

 

This was so simply I have to call it instant gratification!  While the weather is finally getting nicer we have a few other things to tackle in this area.  As you can notice we haven’t painted the risers or touched up the siding where we moved the railings, so that’s on the agenda.  Also, that ugly contraption above the hoses in the photo above is our back-flow preventer for the irrigation system.  I plan on building something to hide it that will blend into the siding more.  We only installed our irrigation system last year, so I’m not as far behind with that project! One last look…Bulkhead BeforeAfter

This update cost all of $12 for 3 cans of spray paint. It’s nice to get something checked off the list!

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *