Last weekend I headed over to my twin sister, Monique’s, house to give her a little guidance on doing a little bit of carpentry work and sprucing up her fireplace a bit. After much consideration she wanted to add a country-cottage-meets-beachy charm by planking out the wall above the mantle. We had scoped out a few projects that had done this beautifully!Source
Here’s a look at Monique’s fireplace (don’t mind Epic being on – I’m a sucker for kids movies).
Like any project we started by finding our materials, taking measurements and putting together a plan. We decided to go with this flat pre-primed MDF baseboard from Lowes.
It’s durable, won’t warp, the color of the wood won’t bleed through like it would with pine and it’s really affordable. My Lowes had it for $14.72 a piece – not $11.12, so I’m sure every location will vary. The plan we came up with only required 6 boards, however, so this was still only $88.32 for the whole project (everything else we had on hand).
First step was to clean off the mantle and mark all the stud locations like we did for my bedroom plank wall.
Then we measured about 6 times over again and went to make our outside frame cuts. First we cut one vertical edge to make sure the height was accurate, then cut the horizontal piece and the 45 degree corners. This part was a bit tricky since we had to flip the board over to cut each 45 angle. My miter saw couldn’t reach to cut through each board in one slice at the angle, but we got it worked out without wasting any pieces! We used my nail gun to get the top horizontal piece up first, while using one vertical piece and the levels to make sure it was located where we wanted (as well as being level), then put it in place by nailing at each stud location.
After that, Monique was on her way measuring and cutting, measuring and cutting all on her own for the inside pieces! She did great!
The last row gave us a bit of trouble and it was then I found my yearning for a table saw. The boards needed to be cut down in height by just 1/8-1/4″… just a smidge! Instead, Monique sanded them down which probably took as much time as the entire project but she got it done so they fit nicely. I jigsawed out a square at the outlet and we were done! She jumped right onto starting to cover the nail holes and caulking, but that’s where we called it quits for this weekend!
There’s still a bit of sanding to do, an outlet extension to put in (and switch that cream colored outlet to a bright white one) and then painting, etc before mounting the TV on the wall. I think it looks fantastic right now, though, and will look even better when it’s finished!
Monique, you did a fantastic job and thanks for letting me help you out with this project! I can’t wait to see it all pulled together!